Popular Posts

Tuesday 2 July 2013

Imprudent Consideration

                                                      
                                          
                     Kumar and Vidhi were shocked at the news their daughter has exploded. Astonish with mouth wide open. “Do you know what you are saying? Have you gone crazy?” said Vidhi heatedly to her daughter Raima. “No mother I am serious. I cannot live without Suruchi. I love her and want to stay with her as it is we cannot legally marry each other. Her parents want her to get married, they are searching a suitable match for her and I don’t want her to marry anyone else.” Cries Raima. Looking at tears in her eyes Kumar’s heart skipped a beat. She was their only daughter though Vidhi wanted another child but he put his foot down. He was very happy with his daughter. They loved her and pampered her so much that single tear in her eyes would make them sleepless. Vidhi was still strict towards her she did not believe in spoiling her child that somebody points a finger at her and brings a bad name for the family. “You are not going to do any such nonsense. You are not old enough to think of entertain these stupid ideas in your mind.” Said Vidhi irritated at a stupid idea her daughter is carrying.”  “Mother, why don’t you understand? We both want to stay together. Suruchi is old enough to take care of me. she has been doing this till now. Whenever I am alone or in difficulty she is always there to stand by me. She can read my thoughts before my saying anything.” Said Raima, tears welled up in her eyes. “Do Suruchi’s parents know about it?” Ask Kumar “no, they don’t know and if they do they will not approve, you know how conservative they are. Suruchi says we both can stay together life long.  Mother if you don’t agree we will elope were nobody can find us.” Said Raima. “Then what was the need for you to tell us.” Said Vidhi “mother, I know that you both love me a lot. I didn’t want to hide anything from you and I am sure you will accept our relationship. You are different from other parents – very modern. I have faith in you. I too don’t want  to let you down I know you too love me and second thing I know you will not refuse me my happiness.” Said Raima pleadingly. Vidhi looks at her angrily and says in firm voice “stop your nonsense and go to your room I don’t want any arguments.” Raima cries and rushes towards her room.
     
            “This girl is impossible! Immature!” said Vidhi while alone with Kumar in their room. “I had told you long back remember when Raima was three to have another issue so that Raima doesn’t feel alone. Her lonesomeness is the culprit of her imprudence Perhaps… perhaps, may be that Suruchi must be persuading her. She ought to understand she is elder to Raima.” Said Vidhi infuriated. Kumar is diffidently silent because he was in no mood to argue. As it is she is always one up than him in arguments especially on this issue.

              Next day Raima explodes “papa, yesterday night I spoke to Suruchi she said after a month she will go to delhi to see a boy. Her parents are almost ready they have seen the guy and liked him. They are waiting for Suruchi’s response and she is waiting for my approval. I want you to give me permission then she will let her parents know about our relationship, I have given her a month’s time. Yeah and before that if you disclosed anything to Suruchi’s parents then watch…!” her parents were shocked in disbelief how can their loving daughter talk like this to them. Vidhi’s eyes filled with tears, lost at words, anger over clouding her mind since morning she could not concentrate anywhere. Raima’s words were recurring in her mind and thinking about unusual and absurd ideas to bring her daughter back to her senses.
            
           Kumar goes to the office but before that he goes to his doctor for his regular checkups. In doctor’s chamber doctor examines him then looking at him he says “is everything fine with you, you look much tensed up your blood pressure too is very high, hadn’t you taken your medicines?” Kumar says, “I have been taking medicines regularly.” “What’s the matter? You come to me everytime but I have never seen you so upset. Tell me, I will do as much as possible to help you. You are my good friend.” Silent, not sure whether to disclose his daughter’s obstinate, dim-witted thoughts. Slowly he confides to Dr. Harsh Verma, close friend of his. Since he came to this city it was dr. Harsh Verma who helped him find a flat to live then it was Harsh’s party were he met his wife Vidhi.
      
             After listening to Kumar for a moment Harsh remained silent then after a while he told Kumar slowly “it is impossible to believe Raima to have such ideas. She is quiet naïve and fool to entertain crazy thoughts or perhaps may be, being alone she must have found a soul mate in her friend. She requires help because this case is not natural, if not prevented it may lead to devastation of her life. She should be stopped and at present she needs is your support and for heaven sake don’t reprimand or criticize her not even against her friend because it will make the matter worse she will be more and more attracted towards her friend. we will have to patiently handle this matter and try as much as possible for one of you to stay at home with her, keep check on her to see that she doesn’t meet Suruchi often. Meanwhile I shall try to do something. Whenever she comes out with that topic anyhow take no notice of it. Don’t unnecessarily argue with her. it will make her more revolting It’s better to stay happily and make her feel loved.”  “Well but I am frightened this girl doesn’t take any hasty decision.” Said kumar. “She will not behave rashly because if she wanted she would have had done without revealing to you but in no way she wants to offend you and Vidhi.” Said harsh to console Kumar. “You are lucky enough to get an obedient daughter.”  Kumar is thankful to Harsh to help him unburden his problem. In this hour he wanted to speak to Harsh. “I will tell Vidhi to take a leave from her job.” saying this he takes a leave.
       
              After a week while Kumar, Vidhi and Raima were having their breakfast a door bell rings Raima opens the door, “Is it Mr. Kumar Kher’s residence.” Asked a man standing on the door. “Yeah, wait a minute I shall call him. May I know your name please? At that moment Kumar reaches the door, “It’s me, Mr. Kumar Kher.” “I am Nitin Gupta from Pune. This is my appointment letter I received from your company.” Said a tall man with slight dark complexion, athlete body, wearing a dark blue shirt and beige colour trousers that enhanced his personality. “Right, I suppose we were to meet in an office at eleven.” “I have reached here today morning and am searching for a decent place to stay. You know here in Mumbai it is very difficult to find good comfortable accommodation.” “Hesitantly, sir can you please help me anyway?” Said the young man standing on the door. Thinking for a moment Kumar says, “Oh yes why not. You can stay here at my residence till your internship there is a guest room upstairs. You can put your stay there;” Kumar calls the servant to carry the luggage upstairs.
           
               After an hour Nitin comes down he greets everybody on the table Kumar introduces him to Vidhi and Raima. “Meet new intern of our company. He is from Pune my friend’s son. He has completed his graduation in electrical engineering. It’s a six months training course.” Raima and Vidhi greet him. They both observe Nitin has good features, very well mannered and soft spoken person. “Come and have your breakfast.” Says Kumar. Nitin joins them Vidhi ask him about his family and education. In between Raima also ask him many things. As days pass Nitin gets so involved with their family that he completely forgets that he is an outsider. He appreciates the nature of all the three members and even they too felt the same about Nitin. They found him very even-tempered unpretentious and candid that they were impressed by him. Raima initially was reluctant and exchanged few words with him but soon she too started liking him. Slowly they became good friends. In between Suruchi did make calls they both spoke but hearing the cold response and Raima’s abruptly cutting the phone she grows suspicious, “ Raima, what are you doing today evening let’s go out on the beach for  a stroll and have dinner out.” She asked her. “Today evening I am going out with Nitin.” “Who Nitin?” asked Suruchi not liking to hear other guys name from Raima. “Oh, very stupid of me. Sorry I just forgot to tell you about this guy Nitin who has come here from Pune working as an intern with papa. Nice guy, very simple and intelligent. In general knowledge he cannot be beaten he is amazing.” “Is he staying at your place?” ask Suruchi. “Yeah, and we both have become good friends you know Suruchi he has a good sense of humour and he is very jovial by nature and…” Suruchi interrupts,” it’s ok Raima, I am not interested in what he is and it will be better you too stay away from him. These boys are all same he will make you fall for him and leave you for crying. Now tell me are you coming out.” said Suruchi with jealousy. “Hey lets do one thing I will invite Nitin with us too. In this way he will not be left alone as it is he has nothing to do in evening.” “Ok, let him join us.” Seeing Raima’s enthusiasm and ingenuousness she agrees. “Well then, see you in evening on beach at eight o’clock.”
             
                  In evening three of them walked on the beach and went to the restaurant in that time it was Raima and Nitin doing most of the talking and Suruchi was quiet and irritated at Raima taking too much interest in Nitin and whenever she spoke she either taunted or underestimated every word of Raima. She was just disinterested talking to Nitin, she did not like Raima’s too much liking for Nitin. She felt jealous when she found Raima looking at Nitin. It was not hidden from her the twinkle of her eyes as she looked at Nitin. She was feeling left alone though both of them wanted her to get involve in the conversation too. Still she felt out of place and was very angry with Raima. Later on after dinner back home Suruchi called Raima she was all blown up. No sooner did Raima picked up the phone she fretted and fumed, “how can you do this to me, am I an ignorant, how you’ll dare humiliate me, you call me for dinner and both of you get involve with your own jokes, both of you were making fun of me…” interrupts Raima, “no way Suruchi you are misinterpreting us. It was all casual and general talks we did not mean to hurt you. You are my best friend, always fought with others for you and even thinking of staying with you then how you got this idea, I am upset and hurt. Nitin is just the same as you are and he is our guest.” “C’mon now, don’t give excuses, I know you both are in love and you are not agreeing that. I saw the spark in your eyes whenever you looked at Nitin.” Said Suruchi with anger and jealousy. “You are jealous… just because you are jealous you can’t insult me. I am not going to take more and I don’t like you speaking about Nitin too. He belongs to a good family and is very genius…and forget about love I have never thought about it.” “…so again you started praising him. Why are you trying to protect him? Who is he to you?” Ask Suruchi. “Nothing much, he is my good friend as you.” “Just friend, am I your just good friend! You were ready to elope with me. You wanted to marry me. I can get many good eligible boys to marry but it was your feelings that I cared most. I don’t want to hurt you so I thought about staying with you. I was obliging you but I did not know you will dump me.” said Suruchi angrily. “Wait, wait a minute! What do you mean obliging! We both care for each other does not mean I cannot do whatever I like. You love me don’t mean you can dictate me, who are you to decide with whom I must talk and what I must do. You have been doing since we became good friends and I have never mentioned that your dominating nature gets on my nerves. I can’t stay with you.” said Raima angrily. “I know who is messing everything. Either you choose him or me.” And she just bangs the phone down. Raima could not control the flow of tears. She’s all alone in the room furious with Suruchi’s behaviour. She is baffled she couldn’t understand the change of Suruchi’s attitude. Suruchi has always been sweet to her, very caring, cheerful but today she couldn’t believe?
    
                 Next morning Raima’s mother looking at Raima, “what’s the matter, why are your eyes swollen? What’s wrong… it seems you cried whole night?” “No nothing much… and again her eyes filled with tears. “ Kumar comes near Raima puts his arms around her, looks lovingly at her and consoles her, “did Nitin say anything to you?” Raima nods. After lots of cajoling Raima speaks, tells everything about the conversation with Suruchi. Kumar and Raima looks at each other in their hearts they are greatly relieved and happy as though a stone upon their heart have been lifted. Kumar pauses for a moment does not speak he does not want to miss this opportunity now he feels the time has come to put some sense in Raima’s head just at that moment Nitin enters the room and looks at Raima and greets her, “hello good morning! Hey I guess for you morning is not great enough. You look as though you hadn’t slept whole night.” Raima doesn’t speak and just runs in her room. Kumar discloses everything about Suruchi and Raima. Nitin listens silently not responding after a while he says,” don’t worry sir Raima is very gullible and childish she only needs is  a good companion who can give her love and take care of her she is pampered  lot too. Everything will fall in right place only thing we can do now is to in any case prevent Raima meeting Suruchi because she can again be enticed by her. Vidhi pleads to Nitin, “now that you are here you can give her company she has started trusting you. It is you who can help her to come out of the mess and she too listens to whatever you say, within few days you have become part of our family.” Says Vidhi. “Well aunty, I will try.” says Nitin.
     
                   Suruchi and Raima, they both wait for each others call but both are unwilling to make a first move. One is full of ego and another with resentment and Nitin slowly tries to make Raima happy with his talks and taking her out for movies and dinners. Initially Raima remained sad and accepted Nitin’s proposal of going out defiantly but then it was impossible to refuse Nitin. Nitin was in no mood of give up easily anyhow he would convince Raima to come out with him slowly she would get engrossed in his talk forgetting all her infatuation and anger towards Suruchi. She would wait Nitin to return from office and go out for long walks on beach. After few days in a restaurant after finishing the dinner as they were leaving. Suddenly Raima greets a couple sitting in on the table in the left corner near the entrance “hello aunty-uncle, how are you‘ll?” They too smiles and responds, “Hello dear, seeing you after long time. After Suruchi left, you have not at all called or visited our house…hmm! I can see you busy nowadays.” Winking at Raima Mrs. Bhatt says and smiles mischievously. “No aunty, meet my friend Nitin working as intern at papa’s office and aunty how is Suruchi and where’s she gone?” Mr. Bhatt replies, “Why you don’t know she has gone to visit her aunt who lives in Delhi. Her aunt has found a suitable match for her and she has approved the boy. She will be staying there for few days. Why, you don’t know she didn’t tell you. Oh perhaps, she might be thinking to give you a surprise?” Raima smiles and congratulates them and says, “yeah I was busy and…” “Oh, so again you two fought. When will you two grow up?” Says Mrs. Bhatt and smiles. Raima doesn’t reply. “Ok aunty, now we shall leave, we are in hurry.” Says Raima to avoid further investigation from Mrs. Bhatt and they both leave.
             On the way, “… so she was the one to stay with you and marry you.” Says Nitin laughingly to Raima. “She left you in between, yeah but one thing is sure I won’t leave you in between if you want I can stay and take care of you life long unless you are genuinely lesbian.” Nitin says looking at Raima and continues. “Yeah Raima after meeting you I feel it will be very difficult for me to leave you. I am in love with you, your innocence and your beauty have. I don’t know what you think about me but I’m sure I can wait for your answer you can take your own time. After a week my training will finish and I will have to go back to Pune.” Raima is stunned and speechless, she is confused and her brains went numbed not knowing how to react to Nitin’s proclamation of love to her. Reaching at home Raima couldn’t sleep thinking about Nitin and his words her whole body quivering she felt a new feeling, a sense of belonging one who loves her and accepted her, she had never ever felt for Suruchi or any other boy though she was well known for her reserved outlook and superciliousness.
        

             Next day, returning home Nitin finds raima and her parents sitting in a drawing room sullenly His heart skips a beat feeling uneasy with all mix feelings but most important worry was Raima’s answer to his love hoping and praying that she accepts it. Whole night he wasn’t able to sleep thinking about Raima’s answer. He himself did not know when and how he fell in love with her. Now when he knew he has to leave he felt it right to propose her about his feelings. Soon he walks towards a drawing room finds everybody sitting silently, deep in his heart he was praying for his life Raima to accept his love. Kumar all of a sudden burst into a laugh. Vidhi says to Kumar, “oh no! You spoilt the whole fun. Look at his face it looks as if he will cry you should have waited more.” “Sorry, but I couldn't take it any more anyway Nitin yesterday when you proposed Raima she immediately did not answer because she wanted to take our permission first.” Now it was Nitin’s turn to smile he looks at Raima, as their eyes meet she blushes. Nitin wanted to hold Raima in his arms at that moment. For once he was speechless but he looks at Kumar and they both show the thumb a sign of victory. Vidhi and Raima saw the gesture and ask them. Kumar narrates the conversation with Dr Harsh Verma and next day Dr Harsh comes with the proposal of his brother’s son Nitin and then you two know all .Raima says, “So it was all planned and suppose I refuse now what will you’ll do?” “Can you?” ask Nitin smilingly knowing the answer, “unless Kumar uncle and Vidhi aunty wants, so what say aunty.” Vidhi looks at Raima and understands she pulls her daughter towards her and hugs her.  

No comments:

Post a Comment